Everybody is producing content these days. There is no shortage of content on any topic. However, just producing content is no longer a source of a competitive advantage.
Great content is not enough.
Producing awesome content is a no-brainer. No one is going to read or be attracted to boring content. However, great content is not enough either. Your content must be connected to a person’s needs, desires, and interests. It must help a person solve a problem.
Does your reader say this about your content?
- I have the information I need to now move forward.
- I trust these people can help me.
- I believe I can find what I am looking for here.
- I think this source is the solution to what I need.
Connecting with your customer’s needs, desires, and interests is hard work. It’s not about creating noise for SEO. If the focus is to create content that is relevant and personal and solves your customers problem, you will gain the following benefits:
How does this help?
The benefits to creating content that meets the needs, desires, and interests of your reader are:
- Produces Sales Qualified Leads – Relevant content attracts visitors to your site. It helps you to stand out in a crowded marketplace. Prospects who find content relevant raise their hand to get your offered content as it is published. The net result is increased activity to your website and sales qualified leads.
- Produces Sales – Personal content enables nurturing. Customers are only going to buy when they are ready to buy. Having knowledge of what is interesting to your buyer allows you to create content that answers their questions. Through careful nurturing trust grows and through that process of providing continual value, people will raise their hand for your help.
Where should I start?
The first place to start is by mapping your customers buying process to your selling process. Do they align? If not, this is something that needs to be addressed or you will lose ground to your competitor.