If you have a business, you want to be found. If you are serious about being found online, you likely are going to hire a marketer like me, or you will invest 1,000s of hours mastering marketing and the art of getting found.
There Are No Guarantees In Ranking
Many of my customers believe I have some magic potion that I use that abracadabra and boom they appear on page 1. The truth is there are no guarantees in ranking.
The Guarantee is Change
What is guaranteed is change. Google may like your content or not. They may like that your content is better than your competitor. Tomorrow that may change, and your competitor may have better content that Google likes compared to yours. You may have better content that is served fast on a mobile device and Google says this is good and up in rank you rise.
The Game is Content
What is evident in the game of ranking is content. It takes lots of quality content! Some of that content will rank while much of it will not rank. It is a hit or miss game. It's why we focus on producing quality content and lots of it. When we have content that ranks we go to work improving that content.
Along with quality content...
10 Factors In Order of Importance That Impact Ranking
- Direct website traffic is the most influential ranking factor. Direct website traffic when users go to a website directly. It is also evidence to Google that the website domain has high authority and value.
- Time on site is also a critical factor. User behavior signals such as time on site, pages per session and the bounce rate influence website ranking and indicate the quality of the website and relevance of content.
- Pages per session - 3 - 3.5 pages are visited per one session when a user lands on the website from search.
- Bounce rate - 49% is the bounce rate for the domains ranking within Top 3.
- Total referring domains - 20% more referring domains link to websites on the second position than to sites on the first.
- Total backlinks - 3% of backlinks contain a keyword in the anchor text. The more backlinks a domain has, the higher its position on the search engine results page. The lower the keyword volume, the less influence the number of backlinks has on the position of the domain.
- Total referring IPs - The number of referring IPs addresses is not equal but is connected to the number of referring domains, so it influences the rankings of the particular domain in the same manner.
- Content length - 45% is the difference in content length between the Top 3 and 20th position.
- Website security (HTTPS) - 65% of domains ranking for high volume keywords are HTTPS. Implementing HTTPS would be a substantial advantage over your competitors.
- Keywords used in anchor, body, title, meta, and keyword density.