I grew up as a young boy and teenager watching episodes of I Love Lucy. In a very old episode, Ricky comes home and finds Lucy on her hands and knees crawling around the living room floor. When Ricky asks her what she’s doing, she explains that she lost her earrings. Ricky asks, “You lost your earrings in the living room?” Lucy replies, “No, I lost my earrings in the bedroom — but the light is so much better out here!”
That statement is definitely full of sarcasm but offers some truth. For many business owners the best light is in the areas of doing business like they’ve always done business. They use the same outdated, boring marketing methods that don’t work, but they console themselves about the effort and try not to think about the results. Their business processes are dull and outdated, but they are processes that once worked! Their website does a good enough job — whatever that means! They call lunch work — after all, they gave out several business cards and presented a fabulous 30 second speech about what they do at the weekly “networking” luncheon (or breakfast) that garnered several chuckles but again no business, just busy activity.
You see, these approaches are much more comfortable and safe rather than exposing yourself to what is really happening in business. New economy methods are rapidly changing how business is done. The baby boomers, which I am one of them, for the vast majority don’t get it. They move slower and feel like they’ve waited their turn in line, only to find out there isn’t a line anymore! The gold watch and pension are gone!
If you are one that is left behind, rather than being distracted by your current realities, overcome them. What if…
- your business systems were automated?
- your customer could do business with you 24/7 and feel wowed?
- you had a consistent flow of leads due to new economy ways of connecting with your customers?
- you added real consistent value to your own network without gimmicks and interruptions?
- you had not just a selling process but a buying process — and both were automated and in sync with each other?
- you knew who was following your “breadcrumb trail” which helped them to say yes without you having to sell?
So what is holding you back? Are you looking for that silver bullet? If so, it’s not there. Today’s new economy requires new methods, new thinking, and quick action.